Aurora Borealis from Chena Hot Springs.

Aurora Borealis from Chena Hot Springs.
It was near to midnight and the sky was clear with subzero temperatures in fahrenheit, and this completed the "my day"

Sunday, January 23, 2011

2011 Chapter 1: Alaska

I was stoked.

Not sure by how much, but I was stoked. Or I was weird. Not sure which though.

I have been in the United States, an international student out of place most of the 2 years I have
been here, but nevertheless liking it. I have been to New York, Miami, Milwaukee, Chicago, Grand Canyon, Salt Lake City, Yellowstone, Colorado, San Francisco and Seattle, places where pretty much can sum up most of the American experience. In the beginning of the Fall 2010 semester I thought, where else could I go after all these places? Hawaii? Puerto Rico? But then again, for the former, it is generally known as a honeymoon spot and thus I am not even sure on what to do there. As for the latter, if I wanted to go for a tropical setting, I might as well be home.

But hey....there is one state...Alaska. But, winter in Alaska?

And thus my trip began on Christmas Eve heading to Alaska via Phoenix, and 10 days after, I'm impressed on how I enjoyed my Alaskan trip.

Overall, I really enjoyed Alaska. I guess most of the people I know wouldn't even think of going to Alaska in winter because it is way colder with an average of -20ish F or -26 to -30ish Celsius temperature everyday in winter. However, it was not that different as to what I sort of feel in Purdue.

Yes, walking OR being outside at Alaska in winter is miserable, but sort of better than in the Midwest because of the absence of winds so wind chill is not a major factor. Yes, the land is cold enough that I felt as if I was in Narnia, with the sun being just slightly above the horizon in daytime (4 hours of sunlight) and the pine trees are covered in white, blissful snow. I literally walked out of the airport thinking I was in some winter wonderland dream.

Simply said, it was worth it. It was a pleasurable experience. Being in a hostel and traveling alone allows for a different experience, meeting with other travelers and locals while also planning on reducing costs for trips among other things. I rent a car to reduce the cost of going to the hot spring by $60 by sharing costs with other travelers. We got in the hot spring with subzero temperatures above water and VERY WARM waters below our chests, and that was AWESOME. We got to enjoy the Aurora Borealis when we least expected it after a couple of nights of disappointment.

One of the funny thing that happened was, while heading to the hot spring, we spotted a moose and stopped to take pictures. There it was, a moose crossing the street and my camera was triggering its shutter as fast as I can press it. After getting enough, I previewed the shots and somehow its legs was well aligned to look as if it has been gliding across the street, and thus I proceeded with creating this picture, just like the Beatles album cover.


I would go on and on about the trip, but the feeling can never be conveyed enough. There I was at probably one of the extreme places in the world, and enjoying myself with how everything is. The people, the nature, the lighting (from the sun, the sky, the stars and northern lights), the weather. It feels so different, so very different yet so homely. There are even a community of Muslims there that makes me feel awed by how amazing and adaptive people are and how magnificent Allah is as our creator.

At the same time, I guess this might be coming from an aging me, but there are certain aspects of life that we usually don't even care of and in isolation, I came to think of how valuable it was and is. Of how fragile everything is and yet, how often we neglect it and take it for granted. I watched how a person takes for granted the people around him, and it might have to do about how a culture is, but I observe and observe yet I still do not understand. But that's maybe my dilemma since forever. Anyway...

It was worth it. Fairbanks, I might be coming there again, some time, some day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment